MIE - 2015 AUTUMN LECTURE SERIES Emotional and Relational Well-Being in a School Environment
Marino Institute invites you to join us for a series of three talks designed to enable you to enhance and develop the skills needed to successfully build positive relationships in a school community
These talks are open to all involved in education. Members of the public are most welcome.
Workshop 1: Looking in the Mirror - enhancing self-awareness.
Presenter: Gretta O’Shea
Developing self–awareness is a great way of learning more about yourself and what you are capable of. Through understanding your strengths and limitations, you open up opportunities that will allow you to grow. Knowing yourself is a prerequisite to knowing and dealing with others.
The workshop will explore:
- Knowing myself – my values, beliefs, strengths, motivation etc.
- Getting to know your blind spots – what image am I presenting?
- The importance and influence of the emotions
- The emotional brain and the role of the Amydala
- Strategies for managing our response and triggers
- My own learning agenda- personal goals for improving and developing the skills.
Workshop 2: Walking the Talk-engaging in positive communication.
We all share a fundamental drive to communicate. Communication can be defined as the process of understanding and sharing meaning. You share meaning in what you say and how you say it. Good communication is an essential tool in building the bridge from me to you and so is essential in fostering and maintaining strong working relationships.
The workshop will explore:
- Types of communication- verbal and non-verbal
- Communication styles – building confident assertiveness
- Role of perception
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Challenging conversations
- Strategies for improving effective communication
Workshop 3: Making the most of what matters - building relationships.
In this workshop, we explore how we can further develop and strengthen positive relationships in school. We recognise the importance of nurturing effective working relationships with all our colleagues. Building on the previous workshops the strategies and skills involved will be explored and practised.
This workshop will explore:
- Working with others – the benefits and challenges
- Working as team and appreciating difference
- Developing empathy and trust
- Building positive relationships through active listening and exerting influence
- Strategies for managing conflict positively
- Self –care.
Cost: €10 per lecture / €25 for the series. Tea/Coffee at 7 pm followed by presentation and discussion 7:30 – 9pm
Venue: Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more details